Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Whoa Nelly! The pros and cons of being a small town!

So I want to say that I'm not making fun of anyone...I don't think. But, Wow, I guess growing up in a military family then Miami and then Destin that I'm really and truly not use to a small town! I will start off saying that I think Alabama has some of the nicest people I have ever met! Things are still all so new and we haven't been here that long. We finally got moved into our house which I love by the way. My in-laws came to visit about four days after we moved in. It has been a lot of fun and has been nice having them here. We always do so much when they visit! They like to get out and explore! Besides cooking up a storm (Salmon, chicken and dumplings, pork chops, blackened shrimp ceasars, homemade apple crisps, homemade peach cobbler) we also went to the historical park here and was able to make a trip out to see Brent's new work! See below!I was super excited about going to Brent's work because we haven't gotten a chance to see it yet. We live in Alabama and he works in Georgia! It's not that far of a drive though. Maybe about 30-45 minutes or so. It's a little strange though because it is smack dab in the middle of a smallllllllll town! There is only two places to eat and one of those two places was located in a gas station! That was the one we ate at! You have never seen so much fried food in your life! Fried chicken, fried okra, fried, fried, fried! It was good and a little strange I might add. I also had to add that it was strange seeing some of the things that the gas station sold that I saw on the way out. For instance who needs a 6XL-X-long T-shirt anyways! Holy Moly! In every color! White, Gray, black......When we were leaving we decided to grab some gas and I sat and watched all the small town residents chatter back and forth about their doings! (Ha!Ha! I said doings..I'm country!)Then I noticed something that you would NEVER see in a bigger city. There was a young woman getting gas and talking to everyone walking by and I heard her mention something about her newborn and I looked over and there was the sweetest little baby fast asleep in the car with the windows down. Then there she went walking off right into the store to go pay for her gas leaving that baby sleeping in the car....with the windows down! CRAZY! I guess everyone knows everyone and if anyone even did steal that baby it was probably your neighbor!Anyways, I really like Brent's work and I know he is overwhelmed by everything that he is cramming into his head (thus that stack of papers that he's gotta know which is one of three) and I know it doesn't help with a crazy wife screaming at him to hang pictures when he gets home! I'm glad he likes his new promotion and his big boy office and such! He deserves it! He works hard! Anywho, it was nice taking the in-laws over there to his "small town" place of employment! We have had a lot of fun and the kids always get so excited to see them and obviously sad when they go!

1 comment:

  1. Gina,
    How grateful I am that you finally have a home of your own to settle into. I know you are finding some much needed peace. Alabama is such a beautiful state with a southern culture all its own.
    I sense your pride in your hubby--how blessed you are to have each other as well as your precious little boys. God does, indeed, bless us in spite of ourselves.
    I love all the pictures you have been posting. It looks like you are enjoying your new life and the children look so happy.
    May the great God we serve continue to bless you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    In Grace,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete